Sunday, March 7, 2010

My thoughts so far....

Well I'm about to embark on my second week of MEdTL and I'm ashamed to admit I'm a little bit in love!! I love the readings and the way my brain is thinking in ways it hasn't thought for years.

In saying that though, I'm finding it difficult already to find the time to study around Jamie and the boys. It seems like I'm always fobbing someone off with the words "I'll just finish this off" coming out of my mouth a couple of times a day. I need to find the balance of study and home and get into a routine that works for everyone - inlcuding me!!

Already, after just one short week and a few readings I've had some 'revelations' about librarianship....and I must say that they're a litte bit frightening. I've always loved librarianship, it has been my 'dream job' for that far off time (ie. after kids and back to part time work) What I'm coming to realise is that the libraries of the future aren't really very conducive to my idea of the 'dream job' :D

What I thought to be perfection was to have my own 'space' within a school, one where I could work with children from across all year levels and plan that work 'in my own time'. This would mean I wouldn't let anyone down if I couldn't make a planning meeting and I wouldn't have to 'share' my grade with another teacher and best of all, hopefully no reports!! Yes, I am a little ashamed to admit that I thought being TL would be the 'easy' way of being a teacher while keeping my young family at the top of my priority list.

It would seem from what I'm reading and the librarians I've chatted with already that this idea of library isn't the futuristic (and even current) reality. What we're seeing more and more is less library 'space' and ideally, less teacher release time being provided by the school librarian.

Scary when this reality is actually what I loved about becoming a TL......what then does this mean for me?

At first I had a sick OMG moment but after thinking about it for the last few days, it's sitting a little better. Home life is only going to get easier (I hope!!!) and as the boys get older, I'll be able to afford the time and effort required of a great TL. At the base of it all is my love of books and information and the love of the quest for just the right resource. I love planning and organising and I can still do all of that even if it means it's done differently to the way I envisaged.

I'm looking forward to the weeks ahead. I've made a time to go back to the school I'm currently on leave from to see how their library has changed and evolved in the last 5 years. I cant wait to see how they're working and to glean as much information as possible in the short amount of time I'll have.

I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment